Hey there! I’m back with another quick recipe post for you guys today 🙂 This Mexican Lasagna is super easy to throw together on a busy weeknight, plus it creates a lot of yummy leftovers for lunch the next day. I can almost guarantee that you already have most of the ingredients stocked in your pantry, so no need to drag yourself to the store after work. and if not it’s also super customizable (is that a word?) for even the pickiest of eaters.
1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or chicken (we had turkey on hand)
1 batch *Homemade Taco Seasoning (you could use a store bought packet as well)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1.5 cups frozen corn (or one can)
1 cup chopped bell peppers (I used a mix of red, yellow, and orange)
1/4 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup salsa
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
10-12 small corn or wheat tortillas
1-2 Tbsp. avocado oil (olive oil or vegetable oil will also work)
1/2 cup cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
*Homemade Taco Seasoning:
1/4 tsp of garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp. dark chili powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
1/2-1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion and garlic until slightly translucent and fragrant
- Add chopped bell peppers and jalapeno to pan, and cook thoroughly
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan cook meat in leftover oil with taco seasoning and set aside
- Once peppers are cooked add the corn and black beans to the pan and let simmer for about 5 minutes
- Mix 1/2 or the salsa with the beef and add the other 1/2 to the bottom of a 9×13 pan
- Lay out tortillas on the bottom of the pan (they may overlap a bit)
- Now add on 1/3 of the pepper mixture on top, followed by 1/3 of the beef mixture
- Repeat 2x and top with cheese (and more jalapenos if you feel so inclined)
- Place in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted
Easy, peasy, lemon, squeezy! Does anyone even say that anymore?
This is one of our favorite dinners, and it heats up really well too! I usually prefer to use corn tortillas because I LOVE them, and I think they hold up a little better in the fridge, but feel free to use what every you’d like. We love this meal because it is a fairly cheap and easy way to get all the things you need in one pan.
Protein? √ Carbs? √ Fat? √ Dairy? √ Fiber? √ Deliciousness? √√√
Also, I highly recommend topping it with extra salsa, sour cream, and avocado. Let me know what you think!